The Avro type 621 was designed by Roy Chadwick as a replacement for the wooden constructed Avro 504 with the first prototype being flown in September 1929 by Avro Chief test pilot Captain Harry Albert 'Sam' Brown. After trials by the RAF it was accepted as their basic trainer in 1933.
The Bi-plane features staggered equal span wing design with the construction of the aircraft based on mainly steel tubing, except for wooden wing ribs, with the framework then coated with doped linen. The main undercarriage is fixed and a tail skid was fitted. (a tail wheel replaced the skid on the later versions).
The Avro 621 'trainer' was powered by the Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose engine producing 155 hp. The Avro 621 'Tutor' was powered by the Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IV producing 180 hp or later the Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IVC producing 240 hp.
The later Lynx powered Avro 621 Tutors had the engine encased by a Townend Cowling to reduce drag.
Although the Avro 621 was designed as a military trainer, some were put on the civil registers and notably in the 1930's two were flown by Alan Cobham's Flying Circus.
|Crew:||1 or 2 (in tandem)|
|Length:||26ft 6in (8.08m)|
|Wingspan:||34ft 0in (10.36m)|
|Height:||9ft 7in (2.92m)|
|Empty Weight:||1,844lb (836kg)|
|Max. Weight:||2,458lb (1115kg)|
Lynx IVC engine
producing 240 hp.
|Max. Speed:||122mph (196.7km/h)|
|Range:||250 miles (402km)|
Avro 621 Trainer
2 seat trainer powered by a Mongoose engine.
Avro 621 Tutor
2 seat trainer powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Lynx IVC producing 240 hp.
Avro 621 Tutor II
Prototype Tutor modified with two bays.
Avro 621 Survey
Avro 646 Sea Tutor
2 seater seaplane fitted with 2 floats.
'G-AHSA', serial number K3215, is the sole surviving Avro Tutor which was built in 1933. It served with the RAF at Cranwell College until December 1946.
It suffered an engine crankshaft failure whilst belonging to Wing Commander Heywood after which it was purchased by the Shuttleworth Collection for restoration.
The Avro Tutor is part of the Shuttleworth Collection, based at Old Warden, where it can be seen today.