Designed by de Havilland, the Chipmunk was developed as a replacement to the Tiger Moth bi-plane trainer.
The Chipmunk is an all metal, low wing, 2-seat trainer with fabric covered control surfaces and wings aft of the spar. The pilot and student are protected from the elements by a sliding perspex canopy.
The prototype Chipmunk fitted with a Gipsy Major 1C engine was first flown at Downsview, Toronto on the 22nd of May 1946 by Pat Fillingham, de Havillands Test Pilot.
Two Chipmunk aircraft were evaluated at RAF Boscombe Down by the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) resulting in the Chipmunk being ordered as a trainer for the Royal Air Force.
The Chipmunk was also adopted by the Royal Canadian Air Force as their primary trainer.
Early built Chipmunks are noticeably different from later models versions by the style of the canopy. The early version had a multi-pannelled sliding canopy whilst the later Canadian versions had a 'bubble' canopy.
The Chipmunk became a popular civillian aircraft from the 1950's being used for training, aerobatics and crop spraying.
|Crew:||1 or 2 (in tandem)|
|Length:||25ft 5in (7.75m)|
|Wingspan:||34ft 4in (10.45m)|
|Height:||7ft 0in (2.13m)|
|Empty Weight:||1,425lb (646kg)|
|Max. Weight:||2014lb (914kg)|
|Engine:||Gipsy Major 8 or 10|
producing 145 hp.
|Max. Speed:||138 mph (222 km/h)|
|Range:||280 miles (451 km)|
Chipmunk c1/0778, was registered as G-ROYS on the 1st of August 1978 and re-registered as G-BNZC on the 11th of November 1987.
It was aquired by the Shuttleworth Collection in March 2000 and is currently painted in the colours of the Royal Canadian Air Force as can be seen here photographed at Old Warden 2009.
Click here to visit the official Shuttleworth Website.