EP120 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb, Duxford 2012 ©Nigel Key
Supermarine Spitfire EP120 was built at Castle Bromwich and delivered to 45 Maintenance Unit on 23rd May 1942 and then to 501 Squadron on the 4th June 1942 and later to 19 Squadron.
On the 22nd April 1943 it was assigned to 402 Squadron and left to join No. 3501 Support Unit on the 6th July 1943.
An accident cut short her career with 3501 squadron, and she returned to Castle Bromwich for repairs which took until June 1944 to complete.
With seven kills, she is the most credited Mk V in existence and maybe the most credited WWII fighter.
After time at 33 Maintenance Unit, EP120 was issued back to No. 3501 Support Unit on 6th July 1944 and the joined No.53 Operational Training Unit on 12th October 1944 which was its last flying unit.
Following service as an instructional airframe 5377M at St Athan, EP120 was assigned as RAF Wilmslow’s gate guardian 1955, similar at Bircham Newton and Boulmer until 1968.
EP120 was a static aircraft in the Battle of Britain film in 1967/68 and back as a gate guardian at Wattisham until 1989.
Stored until it was sold in 1991, it was restored by Historic Flying at Audley End for the Fighter Collection at Duxford with it flying on 12th September 1995.
Temporarily in new paint scheme in 2000 for Pearl Harbour film in which she was the lead aircraft with markings AR3185 (RF-M).
The aircraft is currently wearing its familiar colour scheme.
|Length - 29ft 11in (9.12m)|
|Wingspan - 36ft 10in (11.23m)|
|Height - 11ft 5.5in (3.48m)|
|Engine - Rolls Royce Merlin 55|
|Power - 1,470 Hp|
|Max. Speed - 371 mph (597 km/h)|
|Range - 470 mile (756 km)|
|Cannon - 2 x 20mm Hispano|
|Machine Guns - 4 x 0.303" Browning|