Saab B17, Duxford 2005 ©Dave Key
Bomber / Reconnaissance.
18th May 1940.
The SAAB B17 was derived from the L10 two seat reconnaissance aircraft manufactured by ASJA, which merged with Svenska Aeroplan AB (SAAB) in 1937.
The SAAB B17 has reinforced wings making it ideal as a dive bomber.
The SAAB B17 could be fitted with a variety of undercarriage - skis, floats or wheels, the latter having large covers which when lowered acted as dive brakes.
There were three versions of the SAAB B17 manufactured, the B17A fitted with a Swedish built Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine, the B17B with a British Bristol Mercury XXIV engine and the B17C fitted with an Italian Piaggio P.XI engine.
Due to a shortage of engines, after the aircraft was flown to its destination the engine was removed and reused for the delivery of the next aircraft.
The Saab B-17 was produced from 1941 to 1944, with 323 built.
Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp, producing 1,200 hp.
2 x 13.2mm machine guns
1 x 7.9mm machine gun
1,500 lb (680 kg) Bomb load
The Saab B17 was first delivered to the Swedish Air Force in 1942.
Early 1945, fifteen B17A’s were issued to DANFORCE to liberate Denmark, however, due to Germanys surrender the aircraft were returned to the Swedish Air Force.
Two B17A’s were sold to Finland in 1959 and 1960 and used as target tugs for their Air Force.
|Crew - 2 in tandem|
|Length - 32ft 2in (9.8m)|
|Wingspan - 45ft 1in (13.7m)|
|Height - 13ft 1in (4.0m)|
|Empty Weight - 5,732lb (2,600kg)|
|Max. Weight - 8,752lb (3,970kg)|
|Max. Speed - 270 mph (435 km/h)|
|Range - 1,120 miles (1,800 km)|